how to assemble a school bag
The school season is just around the corner. We will tell you how to properly prepare for it: what you need to buy by the first of September, how to pack a bag for school, and most importantly, how to make your child put things in his backpack during the school year.
What you need to collect in a school bag for a first grader
It is always exciting to send children to first grade for the first time. But preparing a first grader for school is the easiest. The teacher gives a list of necessary stationery in advance. All that’s left is to buy it. If for some reason you do not have this list, here is a sample list of accessories. It may vary slightly from school to school.
First Grade Supplies List
- Backpack (we have already blogged about how to choose the perfect backpack for a first grader).
- Pencil case.
- Folder for notebooks.
- Notebooks (in a large cell and a narrow (oblique) ruler).
- Folder for labor lessons.
- Folder for drawing lessons.
- Sports uniforms.
Stationery to be stored in a briefcase in a pencil case
- Counting sticks.
- A set of colored pencils (12 pcs).
- Two simple pencils (soft and hard).
- Two ballpoint pens (blue).
- Watercolor paints.
- A set of brushes.
- Non-spill jar.
- Oilcloth (mat) on the table.
- Apron with sleeves.
Supplies for school labor lessons
- Modeling board.
- A set of stacks for modeling.
- Colored cardboard.
- Colored paper.
- PVA glue.
- Glue brush.
- Glue stick.
- Safety scissors (with rounded ends).
What else does not prevent putting a first grader in a satchel
There are accessories that are not included in the standard lists, but with them it will be much easier for the child:
- Wet wipes and sanitizer. Yes, in schools there are washbasins in front of the entrance to the canteen. But are you sure that the children there thoroughly wash their hands? Napkins help to quickly and easily perform antibacterial treatment before dinner.
- Lunchbox and drinker. They will come in handy even if the school has three meals a day and there is a water cooler on each floor. Sooner or later, the child will still start taking some kind of snack with him: a cookie, a bun, a croissant, a jar of juice. This means there will be crumbs in the knapsack, books may be smeared with greasy stains, and when the juice spills, everything inside will become sticky. If you put small containers in the briefcase in advance, which fit in the side pockets or the main outer pocket, such troubles are excluded. Food will not be stored with books and notebooks.
- Cardholder. Very often, already from the first grade, children get a pass, a food card, a travel card, a library library card, and more. Unfortunately, the child very often leaves these cards at home or loses them. With a keychain cardholder, this is impossible. The map will always be at hand.
How to pack a school backpack for a teenager
In middle and high school, there are usually no strict lists — you buy the stationery at your discretion. We list the accessories that children at this age will definitely come in handy during the school year. Consider a list of things that girls carry in their backpack. It is more complete. Boys can simply cross off a few items from this list and not carry them in a briefcase.
We collect a school pencil case for a teenager
- Self-adhesive stickers.
- Ballpoint pens — 2 pcs (blue).
- Highlighters — usually a set of 4 pieces of different colors.
- Stationery proofreader (putty for paper).
- Simple pencil (soft and hard).
- Flash drive.
What do teenagers usually carry in their backpack to school?
- Pencil case.
- Folder for A4 sheets.
- Lip balm.
- Wipes (wet and dry).
- Cosmetic bag.
- Lunch box.
- power bank.
How to collect a backpack correctly — an algorithm of actions
- First, we put large things in the school bag (books, a pencil case, a shift), and then all sorts of little things.
- Notebooks are stored separately from books. This will help avoid the problem of wrinkled corners on notebooks. It is better to buy a backpack with a divider for school.
- We put books and other heavy accessories closer to the back. This shifts the center of gravity and reduces the load on the back.
- For small things we use a pencil case and internal pockets. You quickly find what you need and keep it in perfect order.
- We put food for a snack in the outer pockets. There will be no crumbs and excess dirt inside — books with notebooks always remain clean.
How to teach a child to collect a portfolio on their own
For first-graders, a satchel to school, of course, is collected by parents. But even from the first grade, a child needs to be taught to fold things on their own.
The most important rule is to collect the backpack in the evening, not in the morning.
Until the children can read, you can lay out all the supplies on the table and take a photo of them as a reference. Take similar photos for every day of the week. Explain to the child what and where to put. After that, he will be able to put everything in its place according to the model.
Sometimes parents complain about children’s inattention. The child is too lazy to double-check the contents of the backpack; he may forget a textbook, notebook or something from the office at home.
You can double-check the contents of the satchel every day. When children see this, the degree of responsibility decreases: «why do something if the parents will double-check everything later.»
Perhaps the most effective way to teach a child to assemble a backpack on his own is to make him fully responsible for this process. If you stop double-checking the contents of the backpack, the child may forget the notebook or book at home. After that, he will receive a remark or even a bad mark from the teacher. To prevent this from happening again, he will begin to collect a portfolio to school more responsibly.
We are sure that now it will be much easier for you to prepare your child for school. And if you haven’t bought a backpack yet, check out the GRIZZLY catalog. There are many fashionable practical models for schoolchildren of all ages.